During the Mayan era, this concourse to the west of the convent was bordered by the buildings known as “Hunpictok”, “Pap Hol Chac”, “Kabul” and the structure that acts as the base of the municipal palace.
During the colonial time it was called the lower Plaza or Indian Plaza. It is of smaller dimensions that the Main Plaza (Zamná Plaza). In fairs of old, horses, mules and other load animals were bought and sold here.
To the west of this “little plaza”, as it is also known, were the royal houses, which through time and some modifications now make up the Municipal Palace.
In order to escape paying a debt, the poor people of Izamal decided to sell their little plaza to a private party in 1730, a deal which Governor Figueroa stopped by facilitating resources to the natural owners so that they could pay their debt, while ordering that this plaza remain for the benefit of the population and never be used for anything that was not for the public.
To commemorate the agreements of Cádiz, it was named Constitution Plaza in 1820, as indicated by a plaque on the side of the main entrance to the Municipal Palace. In thern “May 5th Park” and the southern “Zaragoza Park”. Between these two parks there was a small street connecting the western ramp of the atrium of the convent to the main arch of the Municipal Palace.
Today this plaza is known by the people as “Crescencio Carrillo y Ancona Park”.